Soup in July? Why, of course! As long as it’s icy cold, minty fresh and makes perfect use of a bumper crop of cucumbers! Here’s a recipe that will cool you off and perk you up and it won’t stress you out because it. could. not. be. simpler. This recipe invites improvisation, so you can make it with 1/2 summer squash and 1/2 cucumber, if that’s your wish. Added bonus? It’s incredibly healthy, too. All you need is a blender, really.
Recipe by Dina Rudick
(measurements are all approximate and ‘to taste’)
- 5 whole cucumbers, ends snipped
- 3 cucumbers and 1 medium summer squash, seeded
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (full-fat tastes best)
- 1 cup sour cream (feel free to omit and use more yogurt)
- lots of mint (approx. 1/2 cup leaves, whole and more for garnish)
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- garlic cloves to taste (approx. 2)
- 4-5 bunching onions, whole
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine everything except the salt and olive oil and puree until velvety smooth. With the blender running on medium, drizzle in the olive oil, and then adjust the salt to taste. Chill for several hours. Garnish with thin slices of cucumber, a sprig of mint and a dash of olive oil. Enjoy!