Chocolate Zephyr Snacking Cake
Aaaaand you have squash. POUNDS of squash. And you’re tired of being good – tired of steaming and sauteeing and salad-izing your veggies. You want to be just a little bad. But you have so much squash. Well, good news: summer squash + whole wheat flour + chocolate + eggs/sugar/oil = your happy healthy and oh-so-delicious reward.
This recipe makes quick work of those ginormous squash that are a bit too big for fresh eating. You can use this for zucchini too.
Recipe adapted by Dina Rudick
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 freshly grated nutmeg or ground equivalent
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tsp Kosher salt (or 1/2 Tsp table salt)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup sugar (white or brown sugar)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of canola oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2/3 Cup buttermilk OR milk with Tbsp of vinegar that has been set aside for 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup very strong coffee (it amplifies the chocolate notes)
- 2 1/2 Cup grated squash (can use a bit more)
- 4-8 ounces dark chocolate chunks
Putting it all together:
Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line baking pan (1 large or 2 small) with parchment paper and spray with non-stick baking spray. Sift together dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside. In mixer, beat eggs until frothy. Beat in milk, oil, sugar, vanilla. Stir in grated squash and chocolate. Fold into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into loaf pan (don’t overfill). Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out relatively clean (depends on loaf size – about 50 minutes). Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!